Blue Sketch Press is proud to announce our 2016 Manuscript Contest (“Damn… That’s a Good Book”) for a previously unpublished collection of poetry or prose. This contest is open to any writer, regardless of his or her publication history, provided the manuscript is written in English and the author lives in the United States. The winner of this contest will receive publication by Blue Sketch Press, a $250 cash advance, and ten copies of the book; all prizes will be awarded upon publication.
Dates for Submission
April 1, 2016—August 15, 2016.
A shortlist of finalists will be announced no later than October 1, 2016.
The winner will be announced no later than December 1, 2016, on the our website, as well as via email and social media.
How to Submit
By email: Email one PDF of manuscript. Include separate cover sheet file with the title of your entry and your contact information. Send to mail[at]bluesketchpress[dot]com
Reading fee: A reading fee of $1 must be paid for each entry. Reading fees are nonrefundable, please submit via paypal to mail[at]bluesketchpress.com.
The competition is open to manuscripts written in the English language from writers at all levels who live in the United States. Authors and editors who work for Blue Sketch Press or have previously published a book with Blue Sketch Press are not eligible to enter.
1) Manuscripts should be no less than 72 pages and no more than 200 pages in length. We do not favor one length over the other. We are only concerned with the quality of the poetry or prose.
2) The author’s name should not appear on the manuscript; the title of the manuscript and author’s contact information should be on a separate cover letter.
3) Manuscript pages should be numbered.
4) Include a table of contents. NOTE: An acknowledgments page is not necessary.
5) Use a standard, easy-to-read font such as 12-point Times New Roman, Garamond, Minion, etc.
6) Poems and prose previously published in journals, magazines or anthologies, and poems that have won awards, may be included in the manuscript. NOTE: Poems and prose previously published in a chapbook cannot exceed 25% of the overall content of the manuscript.
7) Previously published collections are not eligible, including self-published collections available as ebooks or in print.
8) Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition for consideration.
9) Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please withdraw your manuscript if it is accepted by another publisher.
10) Confirmation of receipt will be sent via e-mail.